Wearing a Breast Form
Wearing a breast form (also known as a breast prosthesis) is a common way for women who have undergone a mastectomy or lumpectomy to regain their natural appearance and confidence. Here are some steps to properly wear a breast form:
- Choose the right size and shape of the breast form: Breast forms come in different sizes and shapes, so it's important to choose the one that matches your remaining breast. You can consult with one of our certified mastectomy fitters to find the right size, shape and style for you.
- Choose the right type of breast form: There are two types of breast forms - silicone and foam. Silicone breast forms are more realistic and are weighted to mimic the feel of natural breasts. Foam breast forms are lighter and cooler, making them more comfortable to wear in warm weather.
- Place the breast form in the pocket of your bra: Most bras for breast forms have pockets on the inside of the cups. Simply slip the breast form into the pocket of the bra on the side where you had surgery.
- Adjust the breast form for a natural look: Adjust the breast form to match the size and shape of your remaining breast. You may need to shift the position of the breast form to get a natural look.
- Check the fit and comfort: Make sure the breast form feels comfortable and secure. Adjust the straps and hooks of the bra as needed to get a good fit.
- Care for your breast form: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and caring for your breast form. We recommend using this cleanser. Store it in a safe place when not in use.
Remember, it may take some time to get used to wearing a breast form, but with practice, it can become a comfortable and natural part of your routine.